Thursday, July 24, 2008

VBS


This week is VBS at our church. We meet in the evenings. There are 5 stations through which the kids rotate in 15-minutes intervals and I run one of those stations: Bible Blast. My room is where the kids get to experience the Bible story of the night. Such fun!
The thing is, I'm teaching kids from 2 years old to rising 5th graders! You can imagine that what works for one, doesn't always work for the other. I've learned to adapt.

Monday night: Jesus gives us the power to be thankful! We experienced the story of the ten men healed of leprosy. I placed stickers all over the kids and "quarantined" them in one big mass with "Caution" tape. They loved it!

Tuesday night: Jesus gives us the power to help others! We experienced the story of Jesus healing the blind man by putting mud on his eyes. The kids were blind-folded and their leaders put oatmeal on their foreheads (over their eyes). The older kids loved it! We just let the young ones feel it with their fingers.

Wednesday night: Jesus gives us the power to be brave! We experienced the story of Peter walking on the water. The kids were in a make-shift boat and leaders misted them with water. We also created a bin of thick water for them to walk on. Ever mixed cornstarch and water? It is the coolest thing! It feels solid, but when you pick it up, it melts right through your fingers. It's solid liquid - soquid! The kids LOVED it and we made quite a mess. Word was buzzing throughout the church that the kids were walking on water. It was a fun and memorable night.

I don't remember these kinds of cool things at VBS when I was growing up!


It's been a great opportunity for me to work with other parents in our church. I'm still meeting people, but recognizing more and more faces. I'm certainly glad I committed to teach - even though I had no idea what I was getting into!!

I'll post the next two nights in a few days. (I think we're done with the mess though.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder who had the most fun. . .the kids or the teacher!? MM