Sunday, July 25, 2010

Cole's Half-Birthday . . . With an Extra Surprise for Me!

I like to think that I come from a pretty fun family. We have fun together and do fun creative things. I mean, who else makes t-shirts for every momentous occasion? One special thing we do every now and then is celebrate a half-birthday.

"What is a half-birthday?" you ask. Well, it's 6 months after your actual birthdate when, in Cole's case, he turns 10 and a half! This is a great little celebration for those with December or January birthdates who often get overshadowed by or have their gifts combined with Christmas.

Last weekend my parents came over to celebrate Cole's big 10.5 before they left on their vacation to visit my sister's family. Cole had no idea!

They even brought half a birthday cake . . .
to be served on half birthday plates!
He also got some great gifts - movies, a new novel, and this way cool wall sticker of a basketball player - #41 in blue, anybody know who?

But before the festivities got started, I went to get the baby up from her nap, knowing Memom would need to get her fix before leaving town for a week. As I came back up the hallway, Cole said, "Look who's here!" And what to my wondering eyes should appear? My sister!!!


I was SO excited! We needed a video camera to capture that moment. I almost squished the baby! I know I scared her half to death with my screaming! What a wonderful surprise! She had flown down to catch Cole's little party, meet her new niece, and then drive back home with mom and dad.

We spent the rest of the day together and it was so fun, just hanging around the house talking. She is a great resource for this "new" mom. And we laughed a lot. Everyone needs a good friend they can easily laugh with. My sister is that friend.

But she wasn't here an hour before she put this ridiculous bow in my little girl's hair. Good grief! Sorry if I offend any readers, but I personally think bows and headbands on babies are silly. I'm just saying. I mean look at her! She looks like a present!
The day flew by and was over before I knew it. I so wish it could have been a longer visit, but she has her own little ones to attend to. I am grateful for the time we did have. Thanks for making it happen, Beck! You too Jeremy!

And happy 10.5, Cole!!!

3 comments:

Dana Butler said...

Jeremy, as in Brice? Is he going by Jeremy now? Just curious. I love the half b-day cake and plates - so fun!! :) Baby girl is so cuuute!

BKicklighter said...

She is a little present - sent from heaven straight to you :) tee-hee. Just for that smarty inclusion in your post, I will be sending your daughter bows for every birthday until she is 12. At that point I will start sending her fake nose rings. I am sure MY HUSBAND JEREMY will love that!

mama said...

I seem to recall a half birthday celebration for you when you won that Taco Bell party. Your family is so creative!