Monday, March 2, 2009

The Ending of an Era

Years ago, my brother taught me a game called Settlers of Catan. I was overwhelmed by it and didn't play it again . . . until I met Brice.

Brice started talking about this game that he used to play with his friends and his dad until wee hours of the morning. As he described the game, I realized it was the same one my brother had taught me. But since Brice loved it, I thought I'd give it another try. After a couple of games, I was hooked! So Brice and his dad and I play a few games every Sunday night -sometimes with our friend, Mac, when he's in town. We play with the same old game they've had for years.

Last night, that all changed. In one swift, yet slow motion, move, Brice's drink spilled all over the game board in the middle of our first game of the evening. The cardboard pieces quickly began drinking up every bit of liquid as it spread from piece to piece. We tried to pat them dry, but the damage was done and there was no chance of recovery. So we said good-bye to our old faithful friend:

And hello to our new one:

That's right, we could not be deterred! David immediately left for Barnes & Noble to get us a new game. And the game goes on!

On a side note, I found a dice version of the game that can be played with 2 or more people. Now Brice and I can get our Settlers fix between Sundays! :-)

If you wanna play, come on over!!

1 comment:

Dana Butler said...

Oh my gosh we LOOOOOOVE Settlers!!! We are so hooked!!! We play at least once a week with friends from church and are gradually getting our whole church fam addicted. :) It's sooooo much fun!! Soooo...whenever y'all do make it up here we will HAVE to play!! :) We have the extension pack too.... How's the 2 player version? We've talked about getting it but I haven't known if I'd like it because it doesn't have the game board.... what do you guys think about it?