Friday, March 6, 2009

I tried!

My husband loves red velvet cake, it's his favorite. We went to the flea market this past weekend and saw a table of cakes with a fresh red velvet for $25 - not really a flea market price! We walked on. Then Wednesday he texted me something about a red velvet cake, so I got an idea - surprise him with one for dessert that night! I had already planned to cook some chicken & noodles and, get this, fried green tomatoes!

So after work I headed to a local bakery, but they didn't have any left. Then I remembered how good Publix's cakes are. I drove to Publix #1, but they didn't have any either. Customer service called another store and they did have one. So I headed to Publix #2 to get the little $6 red velvet cake.


On my way home to get started with cooking, Brice called me and reminded me that we were going to meet some friends for dinner because it is one's birthday this week. Man! Well, there went my dinner and cake surprise. So I kept the cake wrapped in its grocery bag and put it in the frig for Thursday.

We went to O'Carrs for dinner that night. After everyone finished eating, Courtney unveiled the cake she had made for her husband's birthday. Yep, you guessed it - red velvet! I couldn't believe it. All my effort to get Brice a red velvet cake and he had a piece coming to him all along!

Last night we did end up having the dinner I planned to cook, including the cake. Definitely wasn't as good as Courtney's fresh homemade version!

Oh, and happy birthday Geoffrey! We hope you have a great day!!

2 comments:

BKicklighter said...

FUnny that it took me 30 sec. to read that story and 30 minutes to hear it on the phone.

annaj said...

But don't you like all the anecdotes that come with the verbal version?