Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Our New Addition

I'm a dog person. Growing up, I had a beautiful golden retriever named Sophie. Dogs are fun and playful and loving and cute and snuggly. They come when you call them and are loyal to those who love them.

My husband is a cat person. Growing up, he had a couple of cats, one in particular that he just loved. His parents have two cats now and we enjoy watching them play, when they decide that they want to play!

But I guess the bottom line is that my husband and I both love animals. We especially have a heart for the cute and needy. One day last week, as I was washing dishes, I looked out the kitchen window and saw a skinny gray cat walking by. She saw me too and stopped in her tracks. I could tell she was a stray and needed food. I walked out the back door just in time to see her and a little baby kitten scurry under the house. Well, that's all I needed to see! I filled a bowl with milk and grabbed a piece of bread, not knowing exactly what to feed a cat. I went back inside to watch and sure enough, they crept back out and drank that milk like crazy! The kitten played with leaves and the mom sampled the bread.


Over the next few days, we continued to feed and water the felines. They became my husband's mission. He was determined to catch them. We decided that if we caught the kitten, we would keep her. We borrowed our neighbors raccoon trap, but the next morning Brice saw the kitten playing in it but not setting it off! Then she ran to the front yard to play with her mom. Brice snuck out the back and waited for her to return. She ran back toward their lair and as she rounded the corner, Brice scooped her up and brought her inside to put into the carrier. She may be little, but she's got claws!




We dropped her off at the vet's office before heading out of town with my parents. Brice was quite anxious to hear something about her. They finally called and told us that her major tests checked out - so we're keeping her!

Sunday afternoon we headed to Wal-Mart and to an aisle I've never been down - the cat aisle! We loaded up on everything cat! At this point you might be wondering, "What does Cole think about this?"



He's very excited!!!


We headed to the vet to pick up our new bundle of joy. She was calmer, but still scared.


See her in the corner?


She's been living in the playroom for the past few days. By day two, we could pet her under whatever she found to hide under. By day three, she would play with us and let us hold her - though you can tell she's still unsure. She's purred in our hands, so she must be feeling more comfortable. She loves to pounce on toys and my fingers! We've named her Macie - no significance, we just thought it was cute. Here are some pictures. Enjoy!










1 comment:

Penny said...

She's cute. I'm a dog person like you but have grown fond of cats over the years. I hope y'all enjoy your new "baby". :)