Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Am I getting old?

I think I've experienced a generation gap.

Last week Brice and I went to a concert we've been looking forward to for a few months: Counting Crows! Brice has liked them for years and I've become a fan over the past few years. The band performing before them was Maroon 5, a popular group of young guys with current hits on the radio. We felt like was got a 2-for-1 concert since we like both of them, but CC was the definite pinnacle of our night.

Maroon 5 was flashy with laser lights, loud guitars, smoke, and a cute lead singer (who doesn't know how to talk to the crowd).

Counting Crows was funky, in the moment, creative, and all-around good musicians! That's the major difference - musicianship and excellent writing. We loved their set! We had moved to the top of the stands to have room to move, sit when we want, stand when we want, dance when we want. It was an outdoor concert and the night was cool and beautiful!

At the end of the concert, I overheard two teenage girls talking in the bathroom. One said, "Maroon 5 was so awesome! They totally blew the Counting Crows away!" The other girl quickly agreed. I just laughed to myself thinking of how much more I enjoyed the CC - as did, I'm sure, the other 27-37 year-olds in the crowd!

No comments: