Friday, October 17, 2008

Timothy D. Hedden

When Brice and I started dating, I would hear him refer to his chiropractor, Dr. Hedden, whom he visited about once a month. I never really understood the purpose of chiropractic care so I tagged along with Brice once when he was getting an adjustment. Dr. Hedden sat down and talked to me about the human body and the communication between the nervous system and spinal column. After some scans of my back and neck, I began getting regular adjustments too. I went once a week at first, then every other week. He even started adjusting Cole too. Cole loved it! He would just giggle when he heard the cracking sound ripple down his back.

Brice told me some background info on Dr. H. He was a single dad of three kids, mom ran off years ago. His oldest son is in college and the younger two are in high school/middle school. He was also getting treatments for Lymphoma. Every so often the office would close while he went down to Mexico for special treatments.

He did well for a while, then things got harder. Over the summer, Dr. H had to stop working all together. His brother moved to town to take care of him 24/7 and eventually his parents came too. After a couple trips to Chicago and more rounds of chemo, he was quite weak and very swollen. Dr. H died Monday night at the age of 51 after a long, courageous battle with cancer.

He was a very godly man and always had an encouraging word to say. He was "famous" for loving his patients so much and the feeling was mutual. Nobody knows why three children are now fatherless, why these parents had to bury their son, or why somebody who touched so many lives had to leave earth so young. It is not our place to question things that we couldn't even understand if they were explained to us by the plan Designer. What we do know is that Dr. H is dancing on healthy legs before the God of the universe and feels no more pain. Praise God!

As you read this, please say a quick prayer for his children. I don't know where they will go now. I've heard that the mom is trying to come back in the picture. Please pray for guidance, wisdom, and restoration. Thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story, it really touched my heart. Keep up the great blog!

Anonymous said...

I also lost my friend and chiropractor to cancer several years ago, Dr. David Hudson.
Amazing how the best doctors do become our friends....

Anonymous said...

I just had to post a comment because there are two sides to every story. I know his ex-wife and I also know she had a ruptured brain aneurysm. She couldn't function and her husband did not want to care for her. She had to move away to live with her parents who cared for her as she went through extensive physical therapy. Her husband divorced her and got custody of their children. She suffered a lot not being able to see her children......it was not the way you described.....she did not intentionally leave and she is the sweetest person and mother you will ever meet.

annaj said...

Thank you for clarifying!