Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Talladega Days

My dear friend, Stephanie, loves NASCAR. She and her old ( my new) friend, Jenny, have gone to Talladega together every spring and fall for the past 13 years. I have never had the desire to go though Steph has tried on more than one occasion to talk me into it. I mean, it's just a bunch of stupid men risking their lives to drive a car in circles for over three hours, right? Last spring, Steph talked our friend Camara into reluctantly going with them. She was up for going again this fall so Steph tried me one more time. The smart girl approached it from the "girls-day-out" scenario and I bit. Yes, I went to Talladega last Sunday to hang with the girls - oh, and watch the race.

First, let's meet the team. Here they are as we "tailgate" before the festivities begin:













Stephanie











Jenny











Camara









We left early enough that there wasn't much traffic to deal with. We got some funny looks being four cuties with no guys! After chilling by the car for an hour or so, we headed toward the track. It was much bigger than I was thinking. We got some lunch before heading to our seats. The hot dogs were great!

So was the frozen lemonade.


The view was great from our seats.



As long as you didn't turn around.



We laughed

We ate




We saw a wreck



Do you know how long it takes a pit crew to change 4 tires and fill a tank with gas? See for yourself!





And here's the final stretch. It's quite loud when they whip by!

The most surprising thing of the day - I HAD SO MUCH FUN!!! The company was great and the event was exciting. New experiences add to life and I'm glad I finally gave in to Steph on this one! I've even asked her to get me a ticket for the spring race. Yes, laugh and point all you want, but I'm not a redneck. Just a gal who enjoys a day at the races!

3 comments:

BKicklighter said...

That is hilarious. What a chick sport - you can sit and chat and talk and eat and look up every now and then to see that they are still driving.

AND I noticed there was no picture of you so there is no proof you were actually there. Nice Try.

Anonymous said...

To bkicklighter: Honestly she was there! Too bad we asked an old man to take the group pic! Jenny

Anonymous said...

The pics are so funny!